Just how safe or secure are our chats? The thought of someone reading your conversations isn’t very pleasant, especially with post-Snowden paranoia hanging on everyone’s mind.
Facebook Messenger is one of the most used chat applications today, having a user base of over 900 million. Turns out there’s a way to turn on Secret Conversation that wasn’t there before.
Secret Conversations aren’t enabled automatically and only via opt-in. You only need to follow these steps to start an encrypted chat:
- Tap on ‘New Conversation’ icon on the top right of the app
- On the next screen, Tap ‘Secret’ on the top right to enable encryption
- Tap on the recipient and begin messaging
You can also turn on encryption to existing conversations:
- Open the existing message
- Tap the name on the top of the screen
- Select ‘Secret Conversation’ from the options below
Secret Conversations, however, aren’t available for users that only use the desktop web version. You won’t find the same option if they have not installed or used Facebook Messenger on their mobile, or if the recipient hasn’t updated their app to the latest version.
Since Secret Conversations are end-to-end encrypted, they will only be available on the device you have used to send the messages and won’t be sync to your other devices.