No, it’s not related to the bookstore in case you are wondering.
The Kinokuniya self-service supermarket which started as a fruit merchant has been around in Japan since the early 50s and has expanded to more than 30 stores in Tokyo, most of them inside train stations.
Here’s how their stores typically look like in the country.
Pop-up stores in Singapore
To promote made-in-Japan produce and goods during this Covid pandemic, Kinokuniya will be opening pop-up stores around Asia, and two of them will be opening here in Singapore this March.
The first (now opened) will be located at Japan Rail Cafe in Guoco Tower, Tanjong Pagar while the next one will be situated inside Isetan Scotts supermarket which is slated to open on 5 March later this week.
Both stores will operate till 18 March.
A selection of Kinokuniya’s bestsellers will be available in the pop-up stores which include:
- Strawberry Butter
- Premium Truffle Soya Sauce
- Chilli Oil Shrimp Crackers
- Yuzu Vinegar Concentrate
- Fruity Vinegar Fizz Drinks and many more…
Additionally, other Kinokuniya’s products such as Pancake Mix, Hokkaido Dried Scallop and vinegar drinks will also be available via JW360 online store on Shopee.
Besides grocery and food items, shoppers will also be able to purchase Kinokuniya-branded original Eco Bags.
Japan Rail Cafe
- Address: 5 Wallich St, #01-20 Guoco Tower, Singapore 078883
- Opening Hours: 11am – 9pm daily (closes 9.30pm on Fri & Sat)
- Nearest MRT Station: Tanjong Pagar
Isetan Scotts (Shaw House)
- Address: 350 Orchard Rd, Shaw House, Singapore 238868
- Opening Hours: 10am – 8pm daily (closes 9pm on Fri & Sat)
- Nearest MRT Station: Orchard